In this episode, we’ll go over the purpose of the flashbacks, see what we can learn from the classroom scene, tackle whether Clark is a thief, look at the subjectivity of Superman, explore some of the themes of the film using a parable, and finally, we discuss that infamous answer: “Maybe.” We’ve got some very short clips from D.J. Des Jardin, Diane Lane, and Dylan Sprayberry. Maybe we raise the following questions:
- Why use flashbacks instead of a chronological structure?
- Is Superman a criminal?
- How did the editor show passage of time with the cuts?
- Why is Mrs. Ross visiting good for Clark’s secret?
- How do legalism and principles differ?
- Will BvS feature flashbacks like MOS?
- How does the parable of the old and new garments apply to MOS?
- Why organically grow Superman from principles instead of retreading codified absolutes?
- What distinguishes the kids on the bus from the strangers under the overpass?
- Why did Jonathan say “maybe” to Clark?
- How does a teenage pregnancy help explain that answer?
- What does bar mitzvah have to do with Man of Steel?
…and much more!