This is part one of a two part series where we cover Superman’s potential weaknesses in Man of Steel. In this episode, we cover how the atmospheric weakness interacts with Kryptonian powers, the environment, and equipment:
We begin with the basic theory and parse what Jor-El tells us about Kryptonian powers. We then point out the problems with the basic theory as complicated by the Kryptonian helmets in Smallville. We then try to reconcile the issue with a few different theories.
While covering our topics, we will discuss and answer the following questions:
- Why Superman’s strength doesn’t come from Earth’s atmosphere.
- Why Zod wore a helmet in Earth’s atmosphere, what he was breathing, and why he didn’t suffer respiratory distress when he lost the helmet.
- A better analogy for the function of the powers than drinking.
- The function of Zod’s helmets and why they didn’t wear them during the attempt coup on Krypton.
- How the Prequel Comic is still a stumbling block.
|Childhood||Kal-El||unknown||unknown||yes||E-Air||years of pain – Ma & Zod|
|Bridge of Zero||Kryptonians, no helmets||no (likely)||no||no (likely shielded)||K-Air|
|Bridge of Zero||Kal-El||no (restrained)||no||yes (stored)||K-Air||temporary respiratory issues|
|Escaping Zero||guards w/ helmets||no (can be shot, stopped, wrestled)||no||no (likely shielded)||unknown (likely K-Air)|
|Escaping Zero||Kal-El||yes||no||yes (stored)||E-Air (Lois safe)||strength immediately returns|
|Smallville A||Zod & Faora w/ helmet||strength||no||yes||unknown (possibly K-Air)|
|Smallville B||Zod & Faora no helmet||strength||yes||yes||E-Air||sensory temporary|
|Dropship||Zod no helmet||likely||no||yes (stored)||unknown (likely K-Air)||no issue until stepping off ship|
|Arctic||Zod no helmet||likely||briefly||yes||E-Air|
|World Engine||Kal-El||yes||no (likely)||yes||unknown||E / K mix unknown|